Monday, October 15, 2012

VeganMofo Day 15/Popped tarts: Chopped/Vegan challenge!/Day 39

The dough rolled out.

Filling the rectangles on my ugly cookie sheet

Outfit of the day

Iced and ready to eat!

Nom! I feel a little guilty that they weren't ready for his breakfast, but I had to test one out before posting the recipe :x

Yummy indeed!
Don't you love the sugar skull cookie he decorated :)
And so the week begins.Little man wore his solar system t-shirt and jeans today, with mismatched socks, one blue cookie monster, and one black cars. I can't wait to hear his grandma bitch about it :) Little man is having some tofu spinach florentine ravioli and a slice of  garlic bread for lunch, with a side of strawberries, and a sugar cookie, with some vanilla milk to wash it down. It was a long, fun weekend, with the exception of my meeting yesterday evening. I was super excited for the chopped/vegan challenge! So I am opting for two entries "Popped tarts" and a sweet and spicy butternut quiche. The ingredients were pop corn, butternut squash, apricot preserves, and fresh rosemary. To start, you pop come pop corn. Easy enough. Then throw about 2 cups of pop corn in the food processor. I had heard you could make popcorn flour this way, but apparently my food processor is kinda old, and wasn't quite feeling up to par, so I settled for popcorn meal, it should roughly resemble matzoh meal if that helps at all. For the popped tarts, I used 1/2 cup of the organic popcorn meal, and 1 cup of unbleached white organic flour. Mix in 1/2 cup of earth balance, or other vegan margarine that is suitable for baking, and 1/4 cup of roasted butternut squash. (between both recipes, I used one medium squash.)Toss in 1 tsp of sugar (I like florida crystals organic) and 1/2 tsp salt. Mix it until it's, well, dough, and let it chill in the fridge until it firms up enough to roll. You may need more flour, mine was a little soft still after hanging out in the fridge overnight, so I just threw 1/4 cup flour on the table to roll it in and they came out awesome. After it's chilled, roll it out into a giant rectangle about 3/16 of an inch thick. Divide that into 4 equal rectangles. You can divide those in half, or opt for the fold in half method. I folded, but I'm a busy single mama :) Take the remains of the half of a butternut (that you already took the 1/4th cup out of) and mash the hell out of it with 1/4-1/3 cup of apricot preserves, and 1/2 tsp finely minced rosemary. Fill half of each rectangle with 2-3 tbsp of the mixture. Fold, crimp or fork seal the edges and bake at 3:50 for about 20-30 minutes. Mix vegan, organic powdered/confectioners sugar with a little bit of the apricot preserves, (I also added annatto based food coloring to make them pop and be a little more autumnal) and a splash or two of soy/almond/hemp/whatever makes you happy vegan milk until you have royal icing. Drizzle or spread  on top of the cooled popped tarts (15 minutes or so?) and enjoy! I also made some chocolate frosting for them, by mixing powdered sugar with cocoa powder and blue natural food coloring to make it look almost black, and a little soy milk.Post 2 with the quiche coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment